1. What am I doing well?
2. What can I do better?
3. Why am I working on Feast?
4. What big decisions are looming over me right now? (I try to answer them on the spot, just based on gut)
5. What other to-do’s are looming over me right now?
6. What’s uncertain? What are questions that need answering?
7. What’s one unexpected thing I can do this week?
Added bonus: What are the elephants in the room?
I started doing this on Sundays before I plan out my goals and schedule for the week.
I write it down in a notebook and write the answers out.
The point is to pull myself out of the daily grind and be completely reflective for an hour (sometimes less, sometimes more). Make sure I remember the “Why’s”. Make sure I see the full picture.
#4 is always a big one. I debate big decisions in my head every hour of every day, but there’s something really effective about just writing it down, and forcing yourself to write an answer right there. A wrong decision is better than no decision, so just go with whatever you write down.
#7 is important too. In the day-to-day, it’s easy to just fall in line and do what’s expected. But when you’re running a startup, sometimes it’s the unexpected that changes everything.
Do you try any reflective exercises like this?